February 12, 2017

Splendid Sampler Grand Finale!


Cue the fireworks, balloon shower and confetti toss! You've made it to

Really, pause for a second to absorb what that means.

 Think back to last year when you were debating about whether you'd join in on this project. Think of all the things that have happened since. And now, know that each of your quilt blocks serves as a reminder of your commitment to your creativity. The quilt you make from all these blocks will be one to treasure. The stories and life events, and the miles of stitches that have been shared are as inspiring as they are unforgettable.

This quilting journey has been about the best things our sewing community has to offer; learning from each other, supporting each other, and through social media, connecting with more than 25,000 sewists, stitchers and new friends around the globe. In fact, when I saw this graphic that plots all the splendid participants, it really made me see just how far and wide our community is – though it looks like we need to hold some quilt retreats in Greenland and Mongolia ;)
For those of you who are visiting here for the first time, welcome!

Great thanks to the inimitable creators of this epic adventure, Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson. {Applause, applause, standing ovation! Brava, ladies!} Their vision, care, creativity and perseverance brought the Splendid Sampler to fruition and brought all of us together in a memorable experience.

I first began to quilt in 2009, around the time that Verna, my first fabric collection for Moda came out. I didn't know anything about piecing blocks and didn't know any quilters I could turn to for help. Luckily, YouTube was well-stocked with video tutorials and that was when Pat first came across my screen. It's thanks to her that I learned how to sew a 1/4" seam allowance! As for Jane, if you've ever had the pleasure of meeting her in person, you will instantly feel her sincerity and kindness. Her beautiful long arm quilting is also a site to behold! It's no wonder that these two dreamed up this project and were so able to pull us all together for it.
So without further ado, it is an enormous pleasure and an honor to post the final and 100th block.
My block is called, Centered and can be found here.
Whenever I have a chance to sew, I find enjoyment in every part of the process. I love the focus it takes to measure, cut, and sew fabric pieces together and discovered it to be a surprisingly calming activity that I enjoy more than I could have imagined. The design of my “Centered” block is meant to reflect this feeling – radiating outward – and all the tranquil moments I treasure at my sewing machine.
Tip: You can fussy cut the center of each block to highlight something special. The blocks below are made using Early Bird, my next fabric collection for Moda. By now, you're probably an expert at sewing with small pieces, so you won't hate me too much for the size of some of these pieces! ;)
And, there's good news for all of you who are like me and maybe didn't get to dive in as much as our hearts had initially wished. There will be a book! You can pre-order a copy here.
The Splendid Sampler project reminded me how quilters and creators, while sewing together, grow together in a creative community that excites and enlarges us. The world can always benefit from more of the positive energy you’ve brought to bear through this creative voyage. And remember:
Please be sure to stop back here on Valentine's Day for a very splendid giveaway!

XO,
Kate


29 comments:

  1. thank you so much Kate for a gorgeous wrap up!!!!! Your block is perfect for 100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU to Pat, Jane and ALL the designers...I accomplished blocks I would never have attempted without this SS journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an awesome journey. I was not able to keep up with the blocks, but did save them all and ordered the book. It was so much fun seeing all the blocks done by everyone who posted. Thank you to all who created this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! What a journey! I've made all 99 blocks and then some and today I get to make your beautiful block and reflect on this past year. I can't believe I've made such a commitment and stuck to it through thick or thin. And, now, I get to see the whole of my efforts and show it off to the world. I have to sew now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all the designers and to Pat and Jane for a wonderful year of completing all the wonderful blocks. I have finished all 100 and all the bonus blocks now to put them together. That will take time. Thanks again to all concerned. Loved the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful block to finish the journey! Thanks to all the designers and especially to Pat and Jane for the devotion and cheerful coaching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Centered, such a lovely block for the finale! Looking forward to Early Bird .. imagine that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Early Bird looks fabulous in this block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a beautiful and well written tribute to the 100th and final Splendid Sampler block. It's a lovely block and I love the meaning you've given it. Thanks for sharing your story! I've made about 30 blocks and I plan on plugging away as long as it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your block and it's perfect for the 100th block! I started the quilt-along and made about 30 block and now I'm wayyyyy behind. I've downloaded all blocks and will make a few more to finish my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your block. 3 guilds are getting ready for our quiltshow this weekend. Can't wait until it's over to dive into the last 3 blocks! You want to know the name of my guild? Procrastinating Quilters!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A thank you to Pat and Jane for this wonderful project. I have made 99 blocks plus 8 bonus blocks and #100 will start today. Lovely block to finish my retirement project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to Pat and Jane for this wonderful project, I haven't made my blocks yet as life got in the way but hope to start them soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for responding to my post Kate. I was able to enroll in email now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muchas gracias por hacer que esto haya sido un maravilloso viaje.
    Nunca pensé que podria hacer algo así, y estar tan pendiente domingos y jueves durantw un año, para ver que bloque salia e intentar hacerlo ese mismo día.
    Gracias de nuevo, estoy super contenta con tanta gente maravillosa que he conocido en el SPLENDID SAMPLER.
    Un fuerte abrazo desde España

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Kate, for this opportunity to win your lovely fabric. I have enjoyed this project very much. Two blocks a week was just right for me...a few days of anticipation, then a day to create. I always have several projects on the go at once so I will continue working on some other things already in progress while I set my 100 blocks (actually 121 including bonus blocks and a few I added).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate, I LOVE your new fabric line! Also loved meeting and learning from all the designers and quilters "world round"! Making color and fabric choices has been my weakness and this Splendid Sampler challenge has pushed me out of the box and helped me feel more confident with my own choices. I also loved having instant feedback from photos logged onto the Facebook site. Thanks for being a designer and for the giveaway! My next project is a wedding quilt for my bachelor son who has found the love of his life...finally! judieharron@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed seeing all the different colorways, the added unique touches and being part of a tremendous journey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved seeing how creative people are. So many wonderful ways to create each block. Next for me . . . finishing up a pinwheel quilt that has been on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like knowing quilting is so international.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Splendid Sampler brings together quilters world-wide.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the most favorite part of this experience was re-learning how to do paper piecing and machine applique. It was a great journey and I loved every minute of it!! :) Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I learned EPP beyond hexagons!! My objective was to learn new techniques and I did do that !!
    Thank you for your block design..

    ReplyDelete
  24. The best part was seeing and sharing the designs of so many quilters. I am also in awe of those who have managed to make all the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Almost weekly, I hear the saying, "I thought quilting was a dying art." Wow, do I have fun educating folks about the quilters around the world. Before the Splendid Sampler, my quilting world existed primarily in my home state, Florida. Now, I can say I know quilters worldwide and remain in awe of the beautiful squares I have enjoyed this past year. Also, the block designers have shared their part of the world with us making us feel right at home. Truly this has been a lovely experience and my heartfelt thanks to all who made this journey possible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed most the sense of community among all the quilters. I learned that I CAN do whatever technique is suggested if I put my mind to it. :) Thanks to all the designers who participated in this wonderful journey! (Next up...a T-shirt quilt for hubby.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved learning new techniques I had never even heard of like English paper piecing. I loved making the little hexies. I was scared but found it relaxing. I love your fabric and would love to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think that what I loved most is that, no matter how long you've been quilting, there's still so much to learn. My next project will be a reproduction quilt. I now feel more confident working with tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete